• Our Stories RSS Feed

by Published on Jun-19-2014 03:47 PM   
      Article Preview

Women who deal with infertility definitely have a different perspective on life, pregnancy and parenting than those who are lucky enough to avoid infertility. Normal (non-infertile) pregnant women usually chuckle and identify with pithy little articles like Huffington Post's "10 Things Pregnant Women Do Not Want to Hear Coming Out of Your Mouth." But if you've struggled to get pregnant or have suffered a pregnancy loss, these types of ha-ha listicles fall flat. Sometimes, they even hurt. ...
      by Published on May-23-2012 11:55 PM
      Article Preview

A few years ago I found out that my hairdresser was ready to try to get pregnant. She's young - still in her twenties - and so I put my usual "run, do not walk, to get checked out ASAP" lecture on hold. That is, until she told me she had irregular periods all of her life. She and her husband had no luck on their own for months and, just asI was about to stick my nose in and tell her to go get checked out, she got pregnant. For me, someone with way too much information about infertility, her spontaneous ...
      by Published on Feb-07-2012 12:12 AM   
      Article Preview

Erika's Story Part Two: If the Ectopic Isn't Fatal, It Will Kill You Some Other Way

(Missed Part One? A First IVF Cycle and a Tenacious Ectopic Pregnancy)

"Expired? Why would they courier over an expired vial of methotrexate?" My silent tears changed to sobs.

My RE wordlessly touched my shoulder and then left the room to check with his colleagues. Ten minutes later, he ...
      by Published on Jan-21-2012 11:36 PM   
      Article Preview

Four days ago was the sixth anniversary of the final termination of my ectopic pregnancy. The psychological pain from the whole ordeal has slowly been fading from my immediate memories; this anniversary didn't even hit me until earlier today, when I extended my sympathies to a Twitter acquaintance's tweet about her recent ectopic. She asked me if I would share my experience, and of course I said yes. Immediately, then, the memories came flooding back, crashing down onto my shoulders and washing over me ...
      1. Categories:
      2. Male Factor,
      3. Success,
      4. Adoption,
      5. ICSI
      Article Preview

Everything Was Fine

Mark and I have been together since 1993 and we got married in July of 2000. After we had been married for two years, we decided to start trying to have kids. After trying for close to a year, I decided to go see my OBGYN. She did a basic check of me and said we would be best off doing the tests on Mark first since they were less invasive. In January of 2003 we got the news that Mark’s tests were not good. They referred us to a RE to get the specifics.

We had talked about adoption before we were ...
      Published on Apr-09-2011 03:59 PM
      1. Categories:
      2. Clomid,
      3. PCOS,
      4. ICSI
      Article Preview

Four or Six?

I grew up wanting to get married and have children. At first I thought I wanted six children. When I was about 10 years old I came to the conclusion that four children seemed like a better idea. Even as a little girl, I knew that some people struggled to have children. I remember hearing about relatives or family friends that could not have children. I wondered what that meant - and being confused about it. I went about the business of picking out names for my future children.

Several years into having periods I knew something was ...
      Published on Apr-09-2011 09:48 AM
      1. Categories:
      2. IVF,
      3. Male Factor,
      4. Advanced Maternal Age,
      5. Semen Analysis,
      6. Success,
      7. Chemical Pregnancy,
      8. Immune Factors
      Article Preview

I knew before we married that having children would be difficult, simply because my husband had had a vasectomy during a previous marriage. No kids, but that's another story for another time. I told him that somehow, someway I WAS going to have children. Nearly five years after we married, he agreed to have a reversal. We also found out that he needed a varicocele repair. I thought that would do the trick and we'd soon be parents. Ha. It was only the beginning of our long journey. Several months of ovulation predictor kits, charting temperature, putting baby bonnets that friends had 'blessed' under the mattress (yes, seriously), and we were no closer to ...
      by Published on Apr-07-2011 12:20 AM
      Article Preview

Carolyn and Sean Savage have had such a strange and heartbreaking journey through IVF that they were compelled to write a book about their lives over the past couple of years. Their story, Inconceivable: A Medical Mistake, the Baby We Couldn't Keep, and Our Choice to Deliver the Ultimate Gift was published on February 14th, 2011. An unthinkable accident at their IVF clinic devastated the Savages. Given the wrong embryo at transfer, Carolyn became pregnant with another couple's child. After an emotionally draining and physically difficult pregnancy, the Savages had to give the baby to his biological parents. Since then, Carolyn and Sean have been in the public eye and they've told various parts of their story on television, in newspapers and online all over the world. ...
      Published on Mar-23-2011 05:15 PM
      1. Categories:
      2. IVF,
      3. Male Factor,
      4. Success,
      5. Chemical Pregnancy,
      6. Adoption,
      7. ICSI
      Article Preview

We started TTC a year after we were married. I knew we would have a hard time. I don’t know how I knew, but I knew. Maybe its because I’m a worrier by nature. Even though I was only 33 years old, we were at the RE’s office at the 7-month mark. I half expected her to tell us that our problems were all in my head, but instead she diagnosed us as having severe MF infertility. I distinctly remember her stating our options: IVF with ICSI, then donor sperm, then adoption. I was thoroughly shocked at the idea of donor sperm and adoption was well beyond anything I was prepared ...
      Published on Mar-16-2011 12:17 AM
      1. Categories:
      2. IVF,
      3. Tubal Factors,
      4. IUI,
      5. Success,
      6. Surrogacy,
      7. Pregnancy Loss,
      8. Embryo Donation,
      9. ICSI,
      10. Celiac
      Article Preview

From Naive Newbie to Jaded IVF Cycler

My husband and I decided to start building our family right on my 30th birthday five years ago. I had been tracking my cycles for 17 months, having a ball, seeing my hormones go up and down right on track, knowing to the minute when my period was coming. I was upset that I never knew any of this information before, and I’d love to one day help educate young women about their bodies.

I visited my OB for a pre-conception visit clutching my 17pages from the online ovulation site I used, all with the perfect colored graphs. “Oh, you’ll be pregnant in no time!” was a direct quote.

Six months went by and nothing happened, and I knew we were doing everything at exactly the right time. I figured, why wait a full year to get checked out just because I am under 35 years old? If something was indeed wrong then we just wasted an entire year! All my hormones came back fine and DH’s sperm analysis was ...
      Published on Mar-10-2011 02:50 PM
      Article Preview

One woman’s struggle to have a child in a world where fertility is taken for granted and IVF is held out as the miracle answer to impaired fertility. As we approached the end of our treatment options I began to picture myself as the merry-go-round pony that no one ever chose – the lonely little horse going round and round through the motions of life but without a child to share the joy or give an enduring meaning to that life. For many people, IVF is like a roller coaster – soaring hopes and crushing disappointment. For me, the merry go round became more symbolic with its constant returning to the same point. This is my story …

How could wanting something as simple as a child of our own become the greatest, the most all consuming challenge I could ever imagine facing. Surely people conceive, give birth, every day without apparent difficulty and without the necessity for any real skill or application to the task.

Len had told me right from the start about his vasectomy. It was never a secret and for the first couple of years it wasn’t a problem. I threw the contraceptive pill away a month after we started living together and it seemed to give a wonderful freedom not having to worry about contraception or the chance of pregnancy. I had my career and a wonderful new life with the man I loved and the desire for children wasn’t part of the equation.

I don’t remember exactly when the idea of a baby started to appeal but looking back it seems the first dim flickerings coincided with my 30th birthday. We had been married a year and as each month went by the idea seemed to appeal more and we started to tentatively explore the subject, the possibilities. Len made some initial enquires with his GP about the possibility of a vasectomy reversal and the likelihood of a successful result, but the response was blunt and actively discouraging. The vasectomy had been performed more than eight years earlier and he was told that any attempt at reversal was likely to be a failure - the GP seemed to think this was just a passing whim of his patient’s much younger wife.

As much angered as disappointed by this refusal to explore the options, I spoke to my GP who suggested the idea of conception using a sperm donor. A referral was given to the only doctor in Toowoomba at that stage offering donor insemination services and, with some hesitation, we attended for an initial consultation.

The consultation involved discussing the mechanics of DI and the high likelihood of a successful outcome – I was young and healthy with no history of gynaecological problems. There was no real offer of counselling to discuss the emotional issues associated with donor insemination. We were sent away with some graph paper and instructions ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    • Follow IVFConnections to stay informed!

TwitterFacebook

• Advertisement

• Advertisement